WordPress 6.0 “Arturo” Released
Named in honour of Grammy-winning jazz musician Arturo O’Farrill, this latest, most versatile WordPress release is here. With nearly 1,000 enhancements and bug fixes, the second major release of 2022 is here.
Enhanced Writing Experience
There are many writing improvements abound, so explore more ways to streamline your content creation process, including:
- You are now able to select text across multiple blocks for easier copying and pasting, rather than having to copy the whole block contents.
- Quickly create links to recent posts and pages, just type two open brackets `
[[` to open up a list.
- Don’t look your existing styles when you transform some block types from one kind to another—for example from a Paragraph block to a Code block.
- Create customized buttons and any new buttons you make will retain the style customizations automatically.
Block themes now include the option to contain multiple style variations allowing further changes and doing so through shortcuts to tweak font-weight, and the style options, like the default colour palette in block themes that support this feature.
More Template Choices
WordPress 6.0 includes five new template options for block themes: author, date, categories, tag, and taxonomy. These additional templates provide greater flexibility for content creators:
- Featured images can be used in the cover block.
- New featured image sizing controls make it easier to get the results you want.
- While editing a template, at the root, or between blocks, the quick inserter shows you patterns and template parts to help you work faster and discover new layout options.
- The query block supports filtering on multiple authors, support for custom taxonomies, and support for customizing what is shown when there are no results.
Patterns are now available in even more places, like in the quick inserter or when creating a new header or footer.
Additional Design Tools
Design tools grow more powerful and intuitive and now include:
- A new colour panel design saves space.
- New border controls offer a simpler way to set your border.
- Transparency levels for your colours.
- Control gaps, margins, typography, and more on a collection of blocks, all at once, in the Group block.
- Switch between stack, row, and group variations to position groups of blocks with more layout flexibility.
- Use the gap support functionality in the Gallery block to create different looks – from adding spacing between all images, to removing spacing altogether.
Better List View
New keyboard shortcuts enable you to select multiple blocks from the list view, modify them in bulk, and drag and drop them within the list.
Block Locking Controls
Now you can lock your blocks. Choose to disable the option to move a block, remove a block, or both.
Improved Performance in WordPress 6.0
This release includes several updates focused on improving the performance of WordPress. These enhancements cover a range of performance areas including improving the page and post-load speed, reducing the execution time of various query types, caching, navigation menus, and much more.
Enhancing WordPress 6.0 Accessibility
Accessibility is an integral part of the WordPress mission of fostering an inclusive community and supporting users of all types around the world. With this in mind, WordPress 6.0 includes more than 50 updates specifically focused on enhancing the accessibility of the platform.